Pages

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

What's App: Relaxation Edition

Ok, so I don't know about any of you, but my body is aching for spring break--last year our break was three weeks earlier than what it is this year, and it's evident down the hall--  So, I thought this was the perfect week to bring some rest and relaxation into the mix...welcome to "Relax App!"


I recently purchased Relax App from the App store to help me fall asleep at night.  My husband doesn't appreciate the "bright light" {as he so dramatically puts it} from the TV, so I started watching TV on my iPad, since it seems next to impossible for me to fall asleep in a quiet/ ill-lit room.  Well, even that wasn't cutting it for him, so being the wonderful, sweet wife that I am {insert southern smile here}, I decided to do a quick search via iTunes for a white noise type app-- I have used a white noise machine in the past to help with this same problem, and it really was wonderful and oh so relaxing.  For $1.99 I got a soft, soothing, massage-esque type music with a very soft glow of tiny little particles dancing around my screen.  Not gonna lie, it DID keep me up at first because I couldn't stop playing with the screen and watching all the different things you could do depending on the amount of fingers you put on the screen!

Example--One finger:

Two fingers:

Three fingers:

Four fingers:

I haven't quite been able to figure out the five fingers, but I know there has to be SOMETHING!

So how does this apply to the classroom?  Let me tell ya...

A few weeks ago I had hooked up my iPad to the smart board for us to play an Inferencing Game together as a class.  While everyone was getting ready for the game, I had a few snoopers analyzing all the apps I had that might be appealing to them...


"Oooooh, what's 'Relax App'?" one of my little nuggets asked.  "Oh my goodness, it's the best thing ever!" I replied.  "Do you want to see it?!" "YYYEEEESSSS!!!!!!!" they shouted in perfect unison.

If you would have walked into my room at that specific moment in time, you would have thought I had hypnotized 21 {8 year olds}. It was hilarious to see, and also a little creepy.

We now use this app during any type of assessment and/ or assignment that requires a great deal of focus and attention.  They were, at first, intrigued by the different swirls and images you could make, which I thought might distract them, but it really just brings an overall calmness and relaxation into the room.  I also put it on our classroom iPads so they can explore during their free time.  I've even had one of my little one who has trouble "calming down" in the afternoon, sit with it for a few minutes before we start math class.

This is the DONGLE--love that word-- I use to hook my iPad up to the Smartboard--plug the sound cord into the headphone jack and you are good-to-go! So simple and soooooo much easier when you are explaining new apps or assignments you have for them via the iPad-- get yours HERE!

Try it out, even if you don't plan on using it in the classroom!  It really is a relaxing way to end {or start} your day!



0 comments:

Post a Comment